Puebla: En la Imprenta Plantiniana de Diego Fernández de Leon, 1691.
Quarto: , 16 pages.
Modern wrappers. Original sewing preserved. Some foxing, cut close at head, page numbers added in ink. Extremely rare. Two copies located in OCLC, one in Germany, the other in Mexico.
A rare funeral sermon for the Pueblan aristocrat Doña Nicolasa Núñez Zenteno, wife of the mayor of the port of Veracruz, Juan González de Olmedo, preached in the parish church of San Miguel Arcángel de Orizaba on August 27, 1689. Her children held important positions such as priests, ministers, ecclesiastical judges and commissioners of the Holy Courts and of the Holy Crusade. The eldest son was a priest and ecclesiastical judge of the city of Nueva Veracruz.
The orator, Francisco Antonio de Ipinarrieta, tells us that Doña Nicolasa gained heaven through her humility and charity, recognizing that the pursuit of worldly goods “is nothing other than a chimera of ambition, a fable of the theater, a paradox of self-love, a scandal of vanity,… a statue of smoke…”
“Conoció claramente nuestra difunta que la caduca contingencia de los bienes de la tierra no es otra cosa, que una quimera de la ambición, una fábula del teatro, una paradoja del amor propio, un escándalo de la vanidad y una volatería del estruendo y finalmente una estatua de humo y así dejando los desprecios de lo temporal, dando el primer lugar a la humildad, que es el primero camino del cielo. El segundo camino para morir en Cristo y asegurar la eterna dicha, es la caridad ejercitada en la piedad con los pobres…”
The book was printed using type and a press imported from Spain by Diego Fernández de Léon, considered “the most outstanding printer of the Pueblan Baroque”(Gravier, p. 27).
He established his first press at Puebla in 1682, in the vicinity of the “Portal de los Libreros”, where he also sold his books. Part of his initial typographical materials were purchased, in 1682, from the Borja y Gandia family. In 1685, he expanded his business by establishing a press in Oaxaca (run for him by Antonio Díaz Maceda.) In 1686 he moved his Pueblan press to Calle de Cholula, at the corner of the plaza.
We know that in 1688 he renewed his assortment of type from Europe and that, even though these types came from Spain, he styled them “Plantiniano”. In his eagerness to improve his printing office he received another consignment of type in 1690 and re-named his press “Imprenta Plantiniana”. Also, from 1690 to 1693, he established a press in Mexico City, run for him by Juan Francisco Fernández de Orozco. Finally, before his death, in 1708, he opened (for a second time) a press in Mexico City, under the name “Imprenta Nueva Plantiniana”.
We are fortunate to have a firsthand description of his Pueblan print shop in 1690. It was located off of the plaza publica, on the second floor of a house beneath the Portal de las Flores, (“debajo de el portal que llaman de las Flores, en un cuarto alto que está en el descanso de la escalera de ella”). The pressroom was operated by five employees, equipped with a new press, imported from Spain, which cost more than 2,000 pesos, and nine drawers of type (“nueve cajones de diferentes moldes de letra de plomo.” (p. 50).
Medina, Puebla 140 (no collation); Palau 121041. Beristain II, p. 106. Gravier, HISTORIA DE LA IMPRENTA Y LA TIPOGRAFÍA COLONIAL EN PUEBLA DE LOS ÁNGELES (1642-1821) Parte Primera, p. 157 ff.